I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Happy Thursday

Well, I guess I have to go back to saving my posts in notepad again.
Blogger hates me lately..and I really don't feel any comfort when told,
after just losing my blog that the engineers are aware of the
problem..please check back later. aaargh! As far as uploading photos, I
guess it'll have to be done from Flickr.

Last night we went to our second "World Religions" class at church and it
was really fascinating. We talked about Hinduism. I'm finally going to
read my copy of the bhagavad gita. Now I just have to find it in the
never shelved tote full of books in the spare room. The whole idea of
there being a piece of god in every man's soul is so beautiful.

The discussion got so deep and ended with Darma, that we are finishing next
Wednesday. I'll be reading up on it in the meantime though.

We rotate each week who makes soup, bread and dessert for the meeting, and
I am such a sad foodie, I've asked to have every week, so I can hone my
soup skills.

Last night I made Harira, a soup traditionally eaten to break the Ramadan
fast at day's end. It took about 3 hours but, wow was it good. Had lamb,
2 lbs of tomatoes, s/p, turmeric, cinnamin, 2 kinds of onions, chickpeas
and red lentils. Lemon squeezed on top was the finishing touch. Since
Dave doesn't like anise, I just bought a round loaf of bread for consistency.
Desert was some pastries and home made Halva. That was raisins, dates,
vanilla and tahini paste in the food processor. Just grind, shape and
chill. I sprinkled some fresh dates and raisins in the serving dish..it
absolutely rocked. I found the recipe at a UK organic food site.

Tomorrow I have off, because I'm working this Saturday. I hope to drop the
$100 check from the chinese auction off at the South Jersey Food Bank. I
really want to see the facility first hand. I'd like to get a group from
church to donate some time there and would also like to start volunteering
there myself. I used to work with S.H.A.R.E. of Southern California and
loved it. The closest site we have is in Camden and Dave won't let me
go there by myself. He's okay with Pennsauken so...

Now if only there were a localish shelter I could volunteer at. That's what
I really, really miss. I worked at St. Vincent de Paul Village in San Diego
for about a year and had this "it was my calling" epiphany. But, alas, where
I live in NJ is too suburban to have anything like that around. PA or NY would
be the only places I think to have something like the village.

And, by the way, still never heard back from the local Boy's Home or Catholic
Charities when I offered to volunteer. Kinda sad if you ask me. They need
help, I offer, and get no response. If only they knew how much someone as
hyperactive as me could be :) A co-worker's husband works at the home and she
said if I give her the name of the man I talked to she'll have her husband
ask him. Honestly it is literally within walking distance and would be perfect
for Dave and I as a couple because they are also looking for IT help, which
he can provide.

From the Make a Child Smile page I will be posting, later today,
the June Feature Kids. SEND THEM CARDS!

Tomorrow I also will be working on my other site Working4Peace as well
as the podcast about the site. Wish me luck on that one..if anyone reading
has expertise in the area of podcast authoring...feel free to let me know:)

Have a great day all!

Comments on "Happy Thursday"

 

post a comment