I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Why Tracy Chapman's debut album still rocks


Click on the album for Tracy Chapman at Amazon.

I dug out some old cd's last night. You know the ones you sing along to when nobody else is around..really loud. I actually got emotional belting out behind the wall. Only a great, no uber song can do that to you. Not to metion the album is 16 years old.

I'm surprised my Tracy Chapman debut cd still plays. I think I know every word on the cd by now. Since I've become more involved in domestic violence and sexual abuse..one song in particular really got to me. The first:

Behind the Wall

Last night I heard the screaming
Loud voices behind the wall
Another sleepless night for meI
t won't do no good to call
The police
Always come late
If they come at all
And when they arrive
they say they can't interfere
With domestic affairs
Between a man and his wife
And as they walk out the door
The tears well up in her eyes
Last night I heard the screaming
Then a silence that chilled my soul
I prayed that I was dreaming
When I saw the ambulance in the road
And the policeman said
"I'm here to keep the peace
Will the crowd disperse
I think we all could use some sleep"

This song really gets to me...not only the words but the way Tracy Chapman sings it.

The Second song just seemed to sum up, sadly how the state of things hasn't changed much since the albums release in 1990:

Why

Why do the babies starve
When there's enough food to feed the world
Why when there're so many of us
Are there people still alone
Why are the missiles called peace keepers
When they're aimed to kill
Why is a woman still not safe
When she's in her home
Love is hate
War is peace
No is yes
And we're all free
But somebody's gonna have to answer
The time is coming soon
Amidst all these questions and contradictions
There're some who seek the truth
But somebody's gonna have to answer
The time is coming soon
When the blind remove their blinders
And the speechless speak the truth.

All I can say about this one is hmmm okay and wow.

I think its time to load up on all the albums I missed by this amazing woman.

Comments on "Why Tracy Chapman's debut album still rocks"

 

Blogger Matthew May said ... (5:50 PM) : 

She does have some of the best lyrics, very honest. Nice post. :)

I have a post on my blog you might enjoy, very touching. Free Hugs, even :)

http://sharecompassion.blogspot.com/2006/11/free-hugs.html

 

Blogger andrea said ... (6:12 AM) : 

I took you up on the hug!

I have Chapman ocd now..now if only I can figure out how to post a YouTube video on my blog...may peek at your code if that's okay Matt.

 

post a comment