I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 27, 2006

what i'm reading..what i'm thinking about.

-okay blogger doesn't want to post this pic so... Its

The Working Poor: Invisible in America (Vintage) (Paperback) by David K. Shipler

If you are interested in this great read, click here and you will be redirected to Amazon.
From an editorial review:

The Working Poor examines the "forgotten America" where "millions live in the shadow of prosperity, in the twilight between poverty and well-being." These are citizens for whom the American Dream is out of reach despite their willingness to work hard. Struggling to simply survive, they live so close to the edge of poverty that a minor obstacle, such as a car breakdown or a temporary illness, can lead to a downward financial spiral that can prove impossible to reverse. David Shipler interviewed many such working people for this book and his profiles offer an intimate look at what it is like to be trapped in a cycle of dead-end jobs without benefits or opportunities for advancement. He shows how some negotiate a broken welfare system that is designed to help yet often does not, while others proudly refuse any sort of government assistance, even to their detriment. Still others have no idea that help is available at all.
"As a culture, the United States is not quite sure about the causes of poverty, and is therefore uncertain about the solutions," he writes. Though he details many ways in which current assistance programs could be more effective and rational, he does not believe that government alone, nor any other single variable, can solve the problem. Instead, a combination of things are required, beginning with the political will needed to create a relief system "that recognizes both the society's obligation through government and business, and the individual's obligation through labor and family." He does propose some specific steps in the right direction such as altering the current wage structure, creating more vocational programs (in both the public and private sectors), developing a fairer way to distribute school funding, and implementing basic national health care.
Prepare to have any preconceived notions about those living in poverty in America challenged by this affecting book. --Shawn Carkonen


There's another book I wanted, but unfortuantely I thought since I found it for 20 used on Amazon and 25 new I'd find it at my local bookseller for the same. Oh boy, I stopped on the way home at my local store and it had to be special ordered and was 40! I guess I'll have to order from Amazon and get it snail mail. I was fascinated when I saw an excerpt. I'll give you one here and maybe you'll agree. It's a subject I've been giving a lot of thought to, so for me, it was instant whopee-I need this book. (okay want need yeah yeah)




Click on the book for purchase link at Amazon.


All Things Considered, November 9, 2005 · Imagine inviting yourself to dinner with 30 different families... in 24 countries. Imagine shopping, farming, cooking and eating with those families... taking note of every vegetable peeled, every beverage poured, every package opened.
Well that's what photographer Peter Menzel and writer Faith D'Aluisio did for their new book, Hungry Planet: What the World Eats.
The husband-and-wife team wanted to see how globalization, migration and rising affluence are affecting the diets of communities around the globe.
Each chapter of their book features a portrait of a family, photographed alongside a week's worth of groceries. There's also a detailed list of all the food and the total cost.
Here are Guatemala, Chad and Germany:
The disparity amazed me. Although it should be obvious, it still shocked me. It also made someone like me, who is trying to lose weight, actually feel guilty for beig a product of over consumerism. I proved to me how much I really need to simplify my life and get back to basics. There is no need to eat as much as I do. I realize I can eat so much less and still get proper nutrition. It makes me do a lot of reflection as well. By the way, the German family is neck and neck with Americans. You can read the whole story at the link here, including audio excerpts from the authors.

Comments on "what i'm reading..what i'm thinking about."

 

post a comment