I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Silence like a cancer grows




















The Sound of Silence

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dare
Disturb the sound of silence.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed In the wells of silence.

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning,
In the words that it was forming.
And the sign said,

"The words of the prophets are written
on the subway walls And tenement halls.
And whisper'd in the sounds of silence. "

- Paul Simon - "Wednesday Morning 3A.M.", 1964

I've had this song stuck in my head for days. When I went back and really read the words, how true they rang.
If those of us who can, do not speak out for the ones that cannot and we fail to reach out to the ones who need it..we risk spreading this disease of apathy.
How many times have you seen or heard something that bothered you, but failed to act or say anthything due to fear of ridicule if you were wrong? I know I have. I hope that I may absolve myself of that failure if that is at all possible, by doing all I can now.

The strong must care for the weak in order for humankind to survive. Whatever may be near to your heart, whether it be animals, prisoners of concience or children in need..please take a moment, just a moment, to extend a hand. It may be financial, time, writing letters or just a kind word to someone you know who needs it.

It will make a difference. I've been on the receiving end, and have never forgotten an act of kindness extended to me...now matter how small. It will remain with me for the rest of my life.

Comments on "Silence like a cancer grows"

 

post a comment