I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

There's still time!

I know that most American's are in a shopping frenzy at this time of year, but ...There's still time to give to someone you don't know!

I know that sounds crazy, but I'm going somewhere with this. I'm on a mission to convert everyone I know. The season that is upon us is not about BUYING STUFF! It for me is about being thankful for what I DO have; things that CAN'T be bought, and are priceless.

For me personally, having the time to decorate the tree with my husband while our dog looks on wagging his tail is so very fulfilling.

This year I've made a firm committment to give more of myself and my resources than ever before in my life. I've upped my donations and even though I work part time now, I'm busier than ever before. I love it.

Dave and I were just discussing the fact that, even though we are giving more, we have more than ever before. Now if there ever was an argument for Karma..there it is.

Why not give it a whirl this holiday season. Instead of being an uber-consumer be an uber-giver. You might just be surprised how much you get back.

Along this same vein, here is a link for crafting for a cause. Knit, crochet or sew for a cause. I will be the first to admit that crochet is not something that is coming easily to me, and there is no way I'm going to be able to knock out a bunch of preemie caps in time for Christmas. On this page they even have fleece patterns for hats. Even I can do that.

Why not go through your old blankets and make a donation to your local shelter for the animals. They are always in need of bedding.

The ideas are just endless. There's Toys for Tots barrels everywhere. Maybe go through your closet and donate clothes you no longer wear (or in my case give up on the size 8 jeans) and donate them to a local hospital shop or thrift store like the Salvation Army. I'll bet your workplace is even collecting this time of year. Operation Christmas Child is another fun one. Filling a shoebox with wrapped toys is a blast. Even more fun is trying to wrap a shoebox.
You could also send cards of encouragement to some kids at Make A Child Smile!

There you have it..and that's just the beginning. Some require resources, some just sharing what you have. But all of them involve giving something of yourself. That, my friends really is priceless and uber-cool!

Comments on "There's still time!"

 

Blogger Matthew May said ... (8:51 PM) : 

Great Post Andrea, some great ideas and links! Thanks for caring! :)

 

post a comment