I Blog for Human rights

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Jersey, United States

trying to be part of the solution

    ArtWebLinks.com - A directory of artists and art related websites

    GlobeofBlogs.com - A Directory of World Wide Blogs

    Blog Directory & Search engine This is my Google PageRank™ - SmE Rank free service Powered by Scriptme

    Photoblogs.org
    View My Profile

    Subscribe with Bloglines

     Blog Top Sites

    www.flickr.com
    my garden andrealeev's my garden photoset
Google
 
Web andrealeev.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 24, 2005

anticipation.....

This morning finds me bracing for two events.

The first of which is the 4-7 inches of snow NJ is expecting this afternoon. I really despise snow. Let me clarify: I really despise snow if I have to drive to work in it. Were I presented with the opportunity to observe it from inside in a pair of sweats, I would thoroughly enjoy it. Unfortunately, I work for a “vital service” and am required, even amidst a “State of Emergency” to go to work. Usually this is followed by “forced” overtime (a contract stipulation), to make up for increased work flow and co-workers who are unable to physically make it in to work. My only comfort this year, is that I finally have a four wheel drive vehicle. Here is where I interject the fact that I love my Honda Element!

The second happening is that I will be manning the “Supervisor Line” today. This means along with valid customer concerns, I am to be dealing with “the squeaky wheels”. This group of calls deals with people who have no reason to complain other than having a miserable life and needing someone to suffer their lamentation. The entire time the second group of customers is droning on, all I can think about is the first group who has real problems, for which I am happy to do all in my power to resolve. I often imagine myself telling them something along the lines of, “you think you have a dilemma?, I have a customer with severe medical conditions that I’m working with, who actually has a reason to be upset!” This is the basis for me calling my job a paycheck. Okay one of several reasons.

In general I do like helping people, so when the bureaucracy I am employed by allows me to do so, I thoroughly enjoy my job. The rest of the time, however, I am continually disappointed by people in general. I won’t even go into the “rules & regulations” of my job that make me hate it (I have to be careful because I’m sure “paycheck” had me sign something a couple of years a go which prohibits me from doing so) I am sure that anybody who has a job in customer service will agree with what I am saying. I won't even get into people who talk with food in their mouth or yell across the room at someone withouth moving the phone away. I do get some wonderful, polite, genuinely nice customers. On the other hand, I honestly cannot believe how mean and rude some people are. I have been called names by customers I would not accept from a close friend. I guess like people who tend to be more aggressive when they are driving because of the steel barrier, these particular individuals possess a certain amount of bravado because they aren’t facing me. I hate to generalize but doctors’ offices and reverends are the worst. This floors me. I will admit here that I really enjoy addressing an MD as Mr. or Mrs. just to tick them off. They always insist you use Doctor. At some later time I will submit a list of things not to do when speaking to a customer service representative, if you require assistance. This will suffice for now, as I think my espresso is making me follow a tangent which it is too early to let mandate my mood for the day. After all, I am working from 1-9pm and it is only 9am.

Were I a productive individual, I would embrace the aforementioned thoughts and facilitate them as a catalyst to get some homework done. I must be a small individual. Alas, Alas! I am apparently no better than my worst customers.

I will post later tonight with an update…I know, you can hardly wait.

Comments on "anticipation....."

 

post a comment